What I've been up to lately...

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Upcycled Sweater Pockets

Have an old sweater lying around?  Need some pockets?
Today I'm going to show you how to make a pocket from the sleeve of an old sweater.
I based this cute pair of pants on Made's kid pants pattern.
My boys NEED pockets in their pants...mainly to stash toy cell phones and rocks.
I used the sleeves of a thrifted men's cashmere sweater to add some cozy, roomy pockets.
This is how I did it:
Cut the sleeves off a little longer than the size pocket you want.
Turn the sleeve inside out, if the sleeve is too wide, stitch down one or both sides to adjust the size and/or shape then stitch across the cut end.  Trim close to the seam for less bulk.
Turn right side out and topstitch into place around both sides and the bottom (by machine or by hand).
Hand stitch the back layer of the pocket's top to the pants.

Ta-da, soft, cozy, simple, upcycled pockets!  And there's plenty of that cashmere left for other projects...
p.s.  This is Zander ;-)
partying at:

Kitchen Fun with My Three Son's Crafty Friday
Whipperberry's Friday Flair
Joy in the Jumble's Pomp Party
It's Party Time at It's So Very Cheri
Homemaker on A Dime's Creative Bloggers Party Hop
Ask Anna's Weekend Warrior Party
Sleepy Sunday Party at Randee's Organized Chaos
A Rosie Sweet Home's Sunday Round Up

3 comments:

  1. How cute and creative. I just love finding new and fun ideas. I'm so happy came across your blog, I love it, I am now following your wonderful blog. I would like you to come visit me and share this at my Sunday Round UP party. I starts on Saturday evening.
    I hope to see you then
    Thanks
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairytale Stitches hadn't heard from you yet just wanted me to check w/ you. Please contact her at fairytalestictchesboutique@yahoo.com to tell her what you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love upcycling--check out mine: http://www.redheadedmommy.com/2012/04/garden-snails-windbreaker-tutorial.html
    Very, very cute and creative! I am also your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...